Champions Drumchapel ended their campaign with a bang as they defeated North Ayrshire 8-0 in the British League Premier Division.

The line-up of Liu Song, He Zhi Wen, Huang Yen Che and Chris Wheeler had to battle at times – Liu was 1-0 down in both his matches – but had too much class for their fellow Scottish club.

It completed a stellar season for Drumchapel, in which each player kept a clean sheet up until the fifth round, where they came up against their main rivals in the league Ormesby and drew 4-4. Apart from that match, the club took two points from every other fixture.

The standout player has to be seven-time man of the match He Zhi Wen. The Chinese-born Spanish player won 19 of his 20 matches played, with 14 of those victories being decided in three straight sets, demonstrating his dominance. The rest of the team did not drop below an 80% win rate apart from Tao Shi who lost both his matches when the club played Ormesby back in December.

Club secretary Phil McCallum had this to say when asked about the clubs triumph this season:

“What we have achieved this season has been truly historic. Our teams have been in tremendous form this season and this has had an impact on all players at the club.

“It has also helped re-establish Drumchapel Glasgow Table Tennis Club as one of the top clubs in Britain and we look forward to the challenge next season.

“But this would not have been possible without the support of Skyform Group, Tees Sport, Glasgow Sport and winning awards who all contributed to make this possible.”

In the other fixtures last weekend, Halton got their first victory with a 6-2 scoreline over Cardiff City.

Richard Lightowler, Jake Shaw and man-of-the-match Kevin Dolder all won two apiece, with Shaw and Lightowler winning five-setters in matches four and five against Cade Short and David Buck respectively to open up a 4-1 lead for their side.

Meanwhile, Kazeem Adeleke and Joseph Hee won two matches each as Fusion shaded BATTS 5-3, Hee sealing victory by defeating Tony Halling in the final match after BATTS had closed from 4-1 down to 4-3.

It moved Fusion above BATTS and into third place ahead of the final round of fixtures a week on Sunday.