Winner Jamie Trevillion (right) pictured with runner-up Oliver Hack (left)

Trevillion points the way forward.

By Geoff Ware.

This season’s first of three rounds of the Hampshire cadet and junior InterTown table tennis tournament was held on Sunday the 13th of November at the excellent venue of the Waterside Club’s Sports hall in Totton, Southampton.

Team’s from Andover, Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Southampton took part in two seperate events for Cadets and Juniors. The format of the day’s play involved a total of 35 competitors representing their own town in an individual event with  progression through to the knockout rounds and then onto the finals where each match won, contributed points towards their teams combined total.

The day started at 10am with every player competing in an initial  group stage with the winner and runner up progressing through to the main event whilst the third placed group player entered into a consolation competition.

It was a magnificent team effort that enabled Bournemouth to finish the day ahead in both competitions going into round two which will be held on the 22nd of January 2012.

The Bournemouth Cadet team were represented by Ollie Crossley,Jacob Elliot,Jamie Hall, Ruth Pickering and Shay Pollard – with Michael Hebditch, FinnMorgan- Bayliss, Becky Kuzu and Jamie Trevillion playing for Bournemouth’s Junior team led by non playing captain and ETTA coach, James Lewis.

The star for Bournemouth in the younger age category was Shay Pollard who played extremely well to reach the staged final of the Cadet tournament giving it his best shot but losing in three very close games to Alan Dawson, the Cadet winner from Southampton.

At only thirteen years of age, Jamie Trevillion went one better to lift the Junior title for Bournemouth. Competing against players up to four years older than himself he stood out for the Bournemouth team by taking the older age event. His five game final match thriller against fifteen year old Oliver Hack representing Southampton was played out in front of thirty spectators and went to duece in the fifth end. The match was a great advertisement for the sport with both finalists going for everything.  Every tactical point played was full of breathtaking attack versus defence long rallies packed with high drama and a nail biting finish. After the last point was played a standing ovation was given to both these brilliant players.

Bournemouth’s Finn Morgan- Bayliss and top seed for the Junior event fell at the last eight stage to Matt Byers from Southampton following a nerve tingling five setter that could have gone either way and was a huge credit to both players for giving their all.

This left only Jamie Trevillion in the Junior tournament representing Bournemouth following the deparure of his town’s team mate, Morgan- Bayliss. Dusting himself off after a 0-3 loss in the groups to Oliver Hack, Jamie progressed through as runner up to the knockout rounds after beating his other group opponent to eventually meet Matt Byers in the semi final (who had earlier beaten Finn). Jamie’s style of play proved just too dificult for Byers who he displaced 3-0 to set up his final match with Oliver Hack. Learning from his earlier defeat to Oliver, Jamie gained a well deserved revenge win in superb workmanlike fashion by 3 games to 2, 12-10 in the last leg to take Bournemouth clear in the Junior points table.

The day was a huge success mainly due to the hard work of the organising team led by  Referee John Fox and his deputy Dave Wiles plus the help of all concerned at the Waterside Club for putting on this brilliant event that went ahead like clockwork.

Results from Day one.

Cadet Points total after round 1.

1st. Bournemouth 25 points

2nd. Southampton 23 points.

Junior Points total after round 1.

1st Bournemouth   27 points

2nd.Southampton   18 points

3rd.Portsmouth      14 points.